The South Yuba River Citizens League (SYRCL – pronounced circle) was founded in 1983 by grassroots activists determined to protect the South Yuba River from dams. Ultimately, SYRCL won permanent protections for 39 miles of the South Yuba River under California’s Wild and Scenic Rivers Act. Today, SYRCL is the central hub of community activism to protect, restore, and celebrate the Yuba River watershed. With nearly 35 years of achievements, 3,500 members and 1,000 active volunteers, SYRCL is doing great things for the Yuba watershed. SYRCL is a leader in the Sierra headwaters for addressing statewide and regional issues – challenging new dams, recovering endangered species, addressing climate change and drought, water security and water quality. Together, we are extending our powerful coalition from the summit to the sea.
The goal of SYRCL’s “River People” program is to unite the community on behalf of the Yuba watershed. The Community Engagement Manager implements SYRCL’s “River People” program strategy of community engagement, volunteerism, outreach, and communications. The Community Engagement Manager (CEM) reports to the River Policy Director and supervises the Community Engagement Coordinator and the Outreach Coordinator (historically an AmeriCorps position). The CEM is expected to exercise judgement and provide management for a range of activities and programs promoting community engagement and membership including direct outreach, media relations, management of SYRCL’s volunteers, support for Centennial Dam campaign and SYRCL’s advocacy work and Waterkeeper program, production of annual events (Yuba River Cleanup, State of the Yuba, and Quiz Night, among others), and support of other events such as the Wild and Scenic Film Festival.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Minimum two years’ experience in a nonprofit or public service setting.
- Proven skills in volunteer management, fundraising, event management and production, and public outreach and media relations.
- Requires experience and proficiency in the following areas: project management including staff supervision, verbal and written communications, critical thinking, judgement, dependability and the ability to demonstrate goal development and attainment.
- Demonstrated capability to conduct one’s self in a calm and professional demeanor when dealing with the public and/or difficult situations.
- Self-starter able to work independently and successfully manage multiple projects and priorities.
- Detail-oriented with excellent organizational and planning skills and ability to handle competing priorities.
- Ability to work cooperatively with staff and volunteers in a team-environment
- Demonstrates initiative and provides follow-through on areas of responsibility
- Computer skills required including proficiency with Word, Excel and Outlook
- Experience with basic graphic design programs like MS Publisher and Photoshop
- Experience with digital media and communications including Facebook, MailChimp, Twitter, etc.
- Experience with managing and maintaining websites; Wordpress a plus
Duties and Responsibilities
The successful candidate will manage SYRCL’s volunteer, outreach and communications programs as well as support our policy and campaign initiatives related to Yuba River Waterkeeper, Yuba Salmon Now and Stop Centennial Dam. These program responsibilities include:
Communications and Community Outreach
- Create outreach, media and communications materials for SYRCL’s programs and community events, including the Yuba River Cleanup, the State of the Yuba, and Quiz Night among others.
- Manage the River Ambassador program including developing and implementing a detailed program plan and budget.
- Supervise the Community Engagement Coordinator who organizes SYRCL’s community outreach events and communications activities, and the Outreach Coordinator who spearheads the River Ambassador program.
- Manage the PR/Marketing of SYRCL events
- Manage SYRCL’s website and social media sites
- Manage volunteer recruitment, evaluation, placement, training, scheduling, and recognition for volunteers at all major SYRCL events like the Wild and Scenic Film Festival, Quiz Night, State of the Yuba, Post-It, Wild for the Yuba, and the Yuba River Cleanup.
- Oversee SYRCL’s volunteer management platform and database for staff to communicate volunteer opportunities to the public online, schedule volunteers, track volunteer hours, and record volunteer history.
- Oversee volunteer participation in SYRCL’s River Ambassador and coach the AmeriCorps staff who manages River Monitoring and Restoration programs.
- Track public meetings as pertinent to SYRCL’s advocacy work
- Assist in mobilizing members and the community to participate in grassroots efforts and public meetings and organizing campaign-related events.
- Support the Centennial Dam Work Group and the Advocacy Committee
- Write press releases, organize press conferences and public relations events, and cultivate media coverage by working with reporters and editorial boards.
- Serve as the primary manager for Quiz Night, State of the Yuba, and Yuba River Cleanup, including responsibility for developing and implementing a detailed event plan and budget.
- Build, train, engage and promote the Clean-a-thon (fundraiser portion of the River Cleanup) to cleanup site leaders, volunteers and participants.
- Assist with grant writing and seeking sponsorships for the River People programs.
- Prepare monthly staff report for the Board, and occasional “weekly wins” as directed.
- Create and manage budgets, including: Outreach, Volunteers, River Cleanup, Quiz Night, State of the Yuba and the River Ambassador Program.
Working Conditions & Physical Requirements
- Evening and weekend work is required for several events throughout the year.
- Travel is occasionally required for this position
- Able to work on a computer for up to 8 hours a day and sitting at a desk for extended periods; to read a computer screen and manual dexterity to operate a keyboard.
- Able to speak clearly on the phone and in person and be understood by others.
- Able to occasionally lift objects weighing up to 40 pounds
This position is open until filled.