TITLE: River Captain
TYPE: Part-time, Temporary Employee, (May-September 2020)
ORGANIZATION: South Yuba River Citizens League (SYRCL)
LOCATION: Nevada City, CA
Each summer more than 800,000 visitors journey to the South Yuba River to soak in the sun and rejuvenate in its sparkling waters. Because of the Yuba’s popularity, it is at risk of being over-loved. Trash gets left behind and accumulates along the river which is a health threat for people and wildlife. SYRCL has developed the River Ambassador program in partnership with the South Yuba River State Park to educate and inspire visitors to join the effort to keep the river clean, healthy, and safe. Each weekend of the summer, teams of volunteer River Ambassadors and their supervising River Captains engage visitors in best stewardship practices by talking one-on-one with people at busy crossings, beaches, and trails. For more information about the program please visit https://yubariver.org/our-work/river-ambassador-program
The South Yuba River Citizens League (SYRCL) is the leading voice for the protection and restoration of the Yuba River watershed. Founded in 1983 through a rural, grassroots campaign to defend the South Yuba River from proposed hydro-power dams, SYRCL has developed into a vibrant community organization with more than 3,500 members and volunteers. See: www.yubariver.org
SYRCL seeks to hire four part-time River Captains who are enthusiastic and passionate about the Yuba River and its health. The River Ambassador program runs 16 weekends between May 23rd and September 7th, with mandatory trainings for Captains in May and July. River Captains work three to four weekends per month, or an average of 12 hours per weekend on the river with River Ambassador volunteers educating visitors about best stewardship and fire-safety practices. In addition, River Captains can expect to spend two hours midweek in meetings and completing administrative duties, such as record keeping, scheduling, and supply restocking. River Captains average 8-14 hours a week total.
NOTE: River Captains must be available to work weekends during the summer. The River Ambassador program will run during Memorial Day, the Fourth of July and Labor Day holiday weekends. Please only apply if you are available to work these dates. Applicants must also be available for trainings in May and as needed, in addition to post-program evaluation during the first week of September.
Compensation will be $12-$14 per hour; this includes all trainings, post-program evaluations, and required meetings. Reasonable mileage and pre-approved expenses will be reimbursed.
PRIMARY DUTIES INCLUDE:
* Coordinate with River Ambassador volunteers to confirm scheduling each weekend.
* Pick up outreach materials and set up booth each shift.
* Supervise and train volunteer River Ambassadors on Saturday and Sundays.
* Model non-confrontational interactions with visitors encountered along trails, at beaches, and parking lots with the help of River Ambassadors.
* Educate visitors about river stewardship and remove trash, dog waste, and fire pits as needed.
* Educate visitors on SYRCL’s programs. Encourage membership and volunteerism.
* Maintain daily logs detailing contacts made, litter-collected, and other data.
* Assist Stewardship Coordinator as needed in planning and implementing regular training and evaluation sessions, a mid-season potluck and end-of-season volunteer appreciation event.
* Develop outreach materials as needed.
* Maintain organized and fully stocked River Ambassador supply bins.
* Extensive familiarity and love for the Yuba River.
* Excellent “people skills” including superior communication skills and a commitment to positive interactions with diverse visitors.
* Expertise in supervising and coordinating volunteers.
* Computer skills including Microsoft Word, Excel, Google Docs, Email.
* Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail for scheduling, data collection, and record keeping.
* Ability to work independently, solve problems, and exercise good judgment.
* Have own vehicle with valid driver’s license and proof of insurance.
* Readily available by phone and email.
* First Aid experience a plus.
* Willingness to submit to a Livescan background check.
* Able to speak clearly on the phone and in person and be understood by others.
* Able to occasionally lift objects weighing up to 40 pounds.
* Able to work outdoors in the summer season for at least 5-6 hours at a time.
* Able to walk on trails.
* Fluency in Spanish; ability to comfortably and confidently speak with river visitors in Spanish.
* Ability to read and write in Spanish.
River Ambassador training is May 8, 2020 and the first day on the river is May 23rd, 2020. Positions are open until filled. No phone calls or drop-ins. Please apply online at https://syrcl.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=38
SYRCL is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, marital status, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other protected status.
Your application was submitted successfully.